It seems to be happening every day now – something that strikes fear in our hearts. As a mother and grandmother, I always feel concern for my family, but this is on a whole other level! So how do we deal with, what seems at times, debilitating fear?
This question has been more personal and relevant to me, also, since being diagnosed with a brain tumor…
The source of the fear may seem different, but it’s actually the same. It all comes back to fear of the unknown – of things that are beyond my control.
Life can seem so unbelievably random. Before this latest tragedy in France, I have been less than 30 miles from two of the mass shootings – and they took place hundreds of miles apart…
Is there any way that I can protect myself and my family?
There are things in life that we can’t control. Actually, most things in life are outside of our control…almost everything, to some degree. That can be a maddening thought! So what do we do?
Whether it’s a crippling disease or random violence, my position has to be the same. How I deal with the fear must be the same.
I do have control over one thing – and that one thing can make all the difference: I can control my response…my thoughts…my emotions.
The bible says that God has not given us a spirit of fear:
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind (self discipline). – 2 Timothy 1:7
So when I’m faced with the temptation to give in to fear, how do I combat it? Here’s what I do:
- I make a conscious choice to choose a spirit of power, love and self discipline.
- I take responsibility for the things that I can – (i.e: If research tells me that my particular type of tumor is encouraged by processed foods, refined sugar and animal protein, then I never put those things in my body. Period.)
- I educate myself so I can make wise choices and won’t be tossed around by each wave of hysteria that comes my way.
- I focus on the blessings and beauty of each day that I get to enjoy, instead of allowing fear to rob me of living in each moment fully.
- I ask God to guide my choices, my thoughts…my life. His Holy Spirit can give me peace that passes understanding, so that I don’t give my power to the Enemy who would love to see me live my life in fear.
- I bathe my loved ones in prayers of protection.
- I choose to respond to evil with love, and I realize that I don’t have to allow what the Enemy means for evil in my life to control my thoughts or actions.
- And, I simply get up, get out and live!
We may not feel like we can change the world, but we absolutely have the capacity to change this day…to utilize fully all the blessings that we have been given, to speak life and healing over everyone around us, to be about the business of our Heavenly Father…
…to be a warrior for life lived in power, love and self discipline!
Peace to you…